Nassau County is named for William of Orange-Nassau, who was King William III of England.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Suffolk County
S – Atlantic Ocean
Created: January 1, 1899
Mineola 1899 – present
County Courthouse – Mineola
Location: 100 Supreme Court Drive / County Seat Drive
Built: 1963 – 1966
Architect: Chapman, Evans & Delehanty
Description: The building faces north and is a five story light brown colored concrete and glass structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The rectangular building has vertical concrete dividers with horizontal windows. The roof line is flat with high rectangular center section. The building houses the office of the Tenth Judicial District.
Old County Courthouse – Mineola
Location: 1550 Franklin Avenue / Old County Road
Built: 1900 – 1901
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William B Tubby
Contractor: Edward Roche
Description: The building faces east and is a two story structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The building was constructed with poured-in-place reinforced concrete and has a grand rotunda capped by a white colored dome. An addition was constructed in 1916. The architect was William B Tubby and the contractor was Libman Construction. Later additions and renovations were 1924-1926 under the supervision of architect William J Beardsley. The contractor was John D Cosgrove Inc. In 2002 the firm of John G Waite Associates restored the dome to its former glory. Renovations continued until 2008. The building houses the Legislative Chamber.
Former County Courthouse – Mineola
Location: 262 Old Country Road / County Seat Drive
Built: 1938 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Lawrence Lincoln
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north front has a central entrance. There are a series of decorative sculptural panels along the top entablature. The roof line is flat. The building was a Works Projects Administration project.
Note: The architect, Lawrence Lincoln worked with Henry Bacon who designed the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC. The building contains many features that are similar to the Lincoln Memorial. The Sikes Company of Buffalo manufactured the courtroom furniture. Cutler Mail Chute of Rochester and Edward Caldwell & Company of Manhattan designed the light fixtures. Carver Albert Stewart created 20 historic panels, four giant eagles that flank the steps and two county seals on top of the entrances.
Other Branch Courthouses
County Courthouse -
Old County Courthouse
Former County Courthouse
Photos taken 2017