Bronx County is named for Jonas Bronck who established the first settlement in the area as part of the New Netherlands colony in 1639.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Nassau County
S – Queens County and New York County
W – New York County and Bergen County, New Jersey
Created: January 1, 1914
New Yorlk ( Bronx ) 1914 – present
County Courthouse – New York ( Bronx )
Location: 815 Grand Concourse / East 161st Street
Built: 1931 – 1934
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Joseph H Freelander and Max Hausel
Contractor: Works Progress Administration
Description: The building faces north and is a twelve story white colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the Bronx. The base of the building is rusticated granite and has four identical sides. On each side is a central three story portico supported by six high columns. There is a frieze designed by sculptor Charles Keck. The sculptures on the 161st Street side are by noted sculptor George Holburn Snowden. Two sculptural groups on the Walton Avenue side are by noted sculptor Joseph Kiselewski. The windows are vertical with panels between the stories. The interior of the building includes arched marble entrances to the lobbies and vaulted elevator lobbies with bronze doors topped by pediments. All of the courtrooms have wood panneling with classical ornament, in a number of different styles and variety of wood types. The building is named as the Mario Merola Building. The building serves as the borough city hall and houses the office of the Twelfth Judicial District.
Note: A mural depicting the arrival of Jonas Bronck, considered the founder of the borough, was created in the early 1930′s by James Monrow Hewlett
Hall of Justice – New York ( Bronx )
Location: 265 East 161st Street / Sherman Street
Built: 2001 – 3007
Architect: Rafael Vinoly Architects and DMJM Architects
Contractor: Bovis Lend Lease of New York City and Hill International of Marlton, New Jersey.
Description: The building faces south and is a ten story steel, green colored glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the Bronx to the east of the courthouse. The south front has a recessed two story section with the main entrance.. The windows are horizontal and roof line is flat. The building is named as the Bronx County Hall of Justice,
Note: The cost of construction was $275,000,000.
Criminal Courthouse – New York ( Bronx )
Location: 215 East 161st Street / Sherman Street
Built: 1973 – 1977
Architect: Harrison and Abramawitz
Description: The building faces south and is an eight story glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the Bronx to the east of the courthouse. The south side has a recessed central entrance on the first story. Concrete pillars rise from the second to third stories with recessed walls. The top two stories are recessed with large horizontal windows.
Old County Courthouse – New York ( Bronx )
Location: 3rd Avenue / East 161st Street
Built: 1905 – 1914
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Michael Gavin and Oscar Floriarius Bluemner
Contractor: Local Contractors over 10 year construction period
Description: The building faces south and is a three story stone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the Bronx to the east of the courthouse.. The south front of the five sided building has a large arched entrance on the first story. A recessed porch rises from the second story to the third story with two columns and a statue. The roof line is flat. The Tennessee marble statue of Justice was carved by J E Roine. The building is privately owned and was renovated. The architect was Gary H Silver Architects.
Note: The cost of construction was $2,000,000 and construction lasted for ten years.
County Courthouse – New York ( Bronx )
County Hall of Justice
County Criminal Courthouse
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2017