Sierra County is named for the Sierra de los Caballos mountains which are located in the county.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Catron County and Socorro County
E – Lincoln County and Otero County
S – Dona Ana County and Luna County
W – Grant County and Catron County
Created: April 3, 1884
Hillsboro 1884 – 1937
Truth or Consequences ( Hot Springs ) 1937 – present
County Courthouse – Truth or Consequences
Location: 300 North Date Street / East 3rd Avenue
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Spanish Colonial
Architect: Wilfred Steadman of Santa Fe
Contractor: C S Lambie & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is constructed in a territorial style of Spanish architecture and is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Truth or Consequences. There are one story wings on the northwest and southwest sides. The roof line is flat. The building houses the District Court of the 7th Judicial District. The building was a Work Projects Administration project. An addition was added in 2007. The architect was Arsed & Lopez Engineering Inc. and NCA Architects and the contractor was White Sands Construction.
See: The contractor C S Lambie & Company constructed courthouses in Quay County and Roosevelt County.and in Texas in Childress County, Gregg County, Hutchinson County, Moore County, Potter County and Ward County.
See: The 7th Judicial District includes Catron County, Socorro County and Torrance County.
History: The county was created in 1884 and Hillsboro was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story red colored brick structure with cupola built in 1884. The building ruins still remain. In 1937, the county seat was moved to Truth or Consequences and the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1938 to 1939.
County Administration – Truth or Consequences
Location: 100 North Date Street / East 1st Avenue
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Spanish Colonial
Description: The building faces east and is a two story cream colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is constructed in a territorial style of Spanish architecture. The building is located to the south of the courthouse and was a Public School. The center section has a central recessed entrance with the upper wall rising to a point. The roof has red colored tiles. Wings were constructed on the north and south sides in 1937. Murals decorate the walls.
County Courthouse - Truth or Consequences
County Administration Building - Truth or Consequences
Old 1884 County Courthouse Ruins – Hillsboro
Photos taken 2007 and 2019