Otero County is named for Michael A Otero, territorial representative to Congress from 1856 to 1861.
Created: January 30, 1899
Alamogordo 1899 – present
County Courthouse – Alamogordo
Location: 1000 New York Avenue / 10th Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Wolgamood and Millington
Contractor: Frank Tatsch
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. On the west front are two square columns framing the recessed entrance. There is a one story wing on the northwest and on the southwest. The building was expanded in 1986 to 1988. The architect was Sam Pool.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by F M Paradice and constructed by S E Pelphrey in 1901.
N – Lincoln County
Photos taken 2007