Guadalupe County is named for the Virgin of Guadalupe, patron saint of Mexico.
Created: February 26, 1891
Puerto de Luna 1891 – 1903
Santa Rosa 1903 – present
County Courthouse – Santa Rosa
Location: 420 Parker Avenue / South 4th Street
Built: 1946 – 1948
Architect: Kruger & Clark
Contractor: Lembke Construction Company of Albuquerque
Description: The building faces west and is a rectangular two story cream colored stucco structure. The west front and south side of the building have stonework around the entrances. The roof line is flat. On the east side is the old dark red colored brick courthouse built in 1909.
Note: The only bid received was from C H Levell Construction Company of El Pasco, Texas at a cost of $102,855. The contract was retendered and won by Lembke Construction Company of Albuquerque. Santa Rosa Lumber Company supplied the lumber.
Old County Courthouse – Santa Rosa
Location: South 4th Street / Parker Avenue
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Spanish Mission
Architect: I B Giles of Los Tanos
Contractor: Southwest Construction Company of El Paso, Texas
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a central arched entrance with arched window above on the second story and flanked by two smaller arched windows on either side. The front rises to a peak with circular window. The east and west wings are lower in height. The building is connected on the west side to the new courthouse. The building was renovated in 2009. The architect was Kevin R Balclar and the contractor was Jim Sana Construction, Inc.
Note: A temporary courthouse was built in Santa Rosa in 1903. The cost of construction of the courthouse in 1909 was $13,935.
Old County Courthouse – Puerto de Luna
Location: Highway 91 / County Road 3 C
Style: Spanish Mission
Architect: Frank Ogden and John C Hill of Puerto de Luna
Contractor: Frank Ogden and John C Hill oft Puerto de Luna
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored sandstone and wood structure. The north side has a central entrance. The windows are rectangular and the roof was hipped. The ruins still stand in a large open field on the south side of the highway.
Photos taken 2007 and 2016