Dona Ana County is named for Dona Ana, who was a legendary woman renowned for her charitable acts in the 17th century.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Sierra County
E – Otero County
S – El Paso County, Texas and Mexico
Created: January 9, 1852
Mesilla 1855 – 1882
Las Cruces 1882 – present
Old County Courthouse – Las Cruces
Location: 251 West Amador Avenue / South Alemeda Boulevard
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Spanish Mission
Architect: Percy McGee
Description: The building faces faces north and is a two story structure with abode walls. The center part is three stories. There is a central courtyard and the building has exposed vigas and carved wooden balconies. An addition was completed in 1969. The building was a Works Progress Administration project. The building is now being converted into a hotel.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Mesiiola in 1866. The building is still standing. The next courthouse was constructed by J Sterling Mash Manufacturing Company in Las Cruses in 1912.
Court House – Las Cruces
Location: 201 West Picacho Avenue / North Alemeda Boulevard
Built: 1925 – 1927
Style: Modern School
Architect: Lehmann & Wuehrmann
Contractor: R E McKee
Description: The building faces east and is a two story glass, red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was originally the Las Cruces Union High School. In 2004 to 2006, a modern addition was constructed on the east side. The east front has a semi-circular red colored brick wall with square openings. Behind the wall is a circular section with glass panel walls and rising to a chimney like tower. The north wing and west side are the original school. A modern addition was constructed on the south side. The roof is hipped. The architect was Wiginton, Hooker, Jeffry Architects of Dallas and ASA Architects of Las Cruces and the contractor was .Wooten Construction of Las Cruces.
History: The county was created in 1852 and Mesilla was selected as the county seat in 1855. The first courthouse was a one story structure built in 1850 and used as the courthouse. In 1882, the county seat was moved to Las Cruces. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1883. The third courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1925 to 1927 and converted to use as a courthouse in 2004 to 2006.
County Administration – Las Cruces
Location: 845 North Motel Boulevard / W Hadley Avenue
Built: 2004 – 2006
Architect: Design Collaborative Southwest of Albuquerque (DCSW)
Contractor: Wooten Construction of Las Cruces
Description: The building faces east and is a two story glass and concrete structure. The east front has a central section with large arch and recessed panels with entrance on the first story. Behind the entrance is a low dome. The north and south sections have higher roof lines and vertical pillars. The red colored roof is hipped.
Old Court House – Mesilla
Location: Calle de Parian / Calle de Guadalupe
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story pink colored stuccoed structure. The building is located southwest of Las Cruces and along the east side of the Mesilla Plaza. The entrance is located on the southwest corner of the building. There are few windows and the roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse - Las Cruces
County Courthouse - Las Cruces
Old Administration Building
Photos taken 2007, 2014 and 2019