Curry County is named for George Curry, territorial governor of New Mexico who signed the bill creating the county.
Created: February 25, 1909
Clovis 1909 – present
County Courthouse – Clovis
Location: 700 North Main Street / West 8th Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Robert E Merrell of Schaefer & Merrell
Contractor: J E Morgan & Sons
Description: The building faces north and is a rectangular three story sand colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has stone trim at the central entrance. Extensive use of the Zia symbol decorate the exterior. Additions to the building were made in 1955 an 1956. The building was a Works Progress Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built by J Sterling Marsh Manufacturing Company at a cost of $35,000. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $150,000.
N – Quay County
S – Roosevelt County
Photos taken 2007 and 2016