Salem County

US States / N / New Jersey / Salem County
3112VM13

Salem County is named for a Hebrew word meaning “peace”.

 

Created:  May 17, 1794

County Seat: 

Salem  1794 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Salem  

 

Location:  NE - Market Street / Broadway

Built:  1735 – 1736

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and wood structure. The south front has a one story portico supported by four Doric columns. At the roof line is a gable with fanlight. The first story windows are arched. The roof rises to an octagonal wood cupola with steep roof. The building was expanded in 1817 and in 1908 the south portico was constructed. In 2010, the building was renovated. The contractor was Aliano Construction.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1692. The cost to expand the courthouse in 1817 was $7725.82.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the second oldest courthouse still in use in the United States. The first oldest courthouse is located in King William County, Virginia (1725). The third oldest is in Hanover County, Virginia (1737). The fourth oldest is in Charles City County, Virginia (1740). The fifth oldest is in Richmond County, Virginia (1748).

 

County Courthouse – Salem  

 

3097vm13

 

Location:  92 Market Street / Broadway

Built:  1967 – 1968

Style:  Modern Colonial

Architect:  Edwards & Green

Contractor:  Joseph W Remedio, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story orange-red colored brick and concrete Colonial style structure. The west front of the rectangular building has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with white colored wood. On the east side of the building is a large square section. On the center of the roof is a white colored octagonal cupola with red colored dome. The roof is hipped with gable ends.

 

County Administration – Salem  

 

3099vm13

 

Location:  98 Market Street / Broadway

Built:  1957 – 1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Edwards & Green

Contractor:  S Levy Construction of Camden

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story dark red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located south of the courthouse and was originally constructed as a jail. The west front has a stone framed central entrance with stone framed window on the second story. The third story is shorter in length and there are dormers on the north and south roof sections. The building was remodeled in 1997. The architect was Radey & Fuller Architects and the contractor was Colubriale & Son.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Delaware County, Pennsylvania and Gloucester County

E – Cumberland County

S – New Castle County, Delaware

W – New Castle County, Delaware

 

 

 

3111vm13

 

 

3116vm13

 

 

3113vm13

 

 

3115vm13

 

 

3117vm13

 

 

3110vm13

 

 

3092vm13

 

 

3091vm13

 

 

3095vm13

 

 

3098vm13

 

 

3100vm13

 

 

3101vm13

 

 

3102vm13

 

 

3103vm13

 

 

3104vm13

Photos taken 2013