Passaic County

US States / N / New Jersey / Passaic County
1997NJ17

Passaic County is named for the Lenape Native American word “pasaeck” meaning “valley”.

 

Created:  February 7, 1837

County Seat:

Paterson  1837 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Paterson  

 

Location:  71 Hamilton Street / De Grasse Street

Built:  1898 – 1903

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Samuel Burrage Reed

Contractor:  William H H Van Houten of Paterson

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is constructed in the shape of a cross. The east and west porticoes have six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line.  A balustrade runs along the roof line. At the center is a large dome. 

 

Note:  The bid for construction was $295,139. The Van Dyk Furniture Company supplied the furniture and Michael Torrance of Paterson did the masonry work.

 

County Courthouse – Paterson  

 

2008nj17

 

Location:  71 Hamilton Street / De Grasse Street

Built:  1966 – 1968

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Neil S Greydanus 

Contractor:  Thomas Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a seven story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the south side of the old courthouse. The first story is recessed. The windows are vertical and the roof line is flat. In 1974, the sixth story was added. The architect was Greydanus & Di Geronimo and the contractor was Senia Building Construction, Inc. 

 

County Administration Building – Paterson  

 

2024nj17

 

Location:  401 Grand Street / Prince Street

Built:  1992 – 1994

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Lawrence Tromeur

Contractor:  Prismatic

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a nine story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the south side of the old courthouse. 

 

Old County Courthouse Annex – Paterson  

 

2018nj17

 

Location:  65 Hamilton Street / Ward Street

Built:  1997 – 1899

Style:  Dutch Baroque Revival

Architect:  Fred Wesley Wentworth

Contractor:  McIlvain and Unkefer of Pittsburg.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a four story red colored brick and stone  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a high central tower with entrance on the first story and with tiered section at the top. On the west is a high Flemish style peak. The roof is hipped. In 1936, the building was purchased and became the Courthouse Annex.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Orange County, New York and Rockland County, New York

E – Bergen County

S – Essex County and Morris County 

W – Sussex County

 

 

 

2005nj17

 

 

1999nj17

 

 

2000nj17

 

 

2001nj17

 

 

2004nj17

 

 

2006nj17

 

 

2009nj17

 

 

2007nj17

 

 

2025nj17

 

 

2026nj17

 

 

2027nj17

 

 

2010nj17

 

 

2013nj17

 

 

2014nj17

 

 

2016nj17

 

 

2017nj17

 

 

2021nj17

 

 

2022nj17

 

 

2023nj17

Photos taken 2017