Cumberland County is named for Prince William Duke of Cumberland, who was the second son of George II of England and a military victor at the Battle of Culloden in 1746.
Created: January 19, 1748
Bridgeton 1748 – present
County Courthouse – Bridgeton
Location: 60 West Broad Street / Fayette Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Watson & Huckel of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Contractor: H H Hankins & Brother of Bridgeton.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a projecting portico with two columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the roof is a large square clock tower rising in three tiers to a dome at the top. On the south side is a large modern three story addition constructed in 1993 to 1995. The architect was Vitetta Group and the contractor was Arthur J Ogren, Inc. of Vineland. The project manager was Gilbane Building Company.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1844. The contractor of the present courthouse, H H Hankins & Brother started by Harry Hankins and Frank Hankins, is still active today located on Broad Street at the corner of Atlantic Street.
W – Salem County
Photos taken 2017