Burlington County is named for the ancient market town a mile from shore in Bridlington, England.
Created: March 17, 1694
Burlington 1694 – 1695
Mount Holly 1696 – present
Old County Courthouse – Mount Holly
Location: 120 High Street / Union Street
Built: 1797 – 1798
Style: Georgian Colonial / Federal
Architect: Samuel Lewis of Philadelphia
Contractor: Michael Rush.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the east of the courthouse. The east front has a central wood framed entrance with fanlight. The first story windows are arched and all the windows have green colored shitters. On the west side is a rounded section. The gable roof has a fanlight. On the center of the roof is an octagonal open cupola which houses a bell that was cast in England in 1755. A balustrade runs along the roof line. An addition was constructed in 1886. The architect was Hazelhurst & Huckel. On either side of the building are the one story white colored brick office buildings constructed in 1807. To the north is the old stone prison designed by Robert Mills constructed in 1811.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in Burlington in 1693.
County Courthouse – Mount Holly
Location: 49 Rancocas Road / High Street
Built: 1957 – 1959
Architect: Petty & Croft and Micklewright and Mountford
Description: The building faces south and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a projecting concrete section with three rectangular openings. Behind is a horizontal concrete projection rising three stories. The building is “L” shaped with a south and west wing. The roof line is flat. On the northeast side is a seven story red colored brick building.
E – Ocean County
Photos taken 2017