District Courthouse – Portsmouth
Location: 111 Parrott Avenue / Rogers Street
Built: 1979 – 1981
Architect: Anderson Nichols & Company Inc. and Bedar Associates Inc.
Contractor: Charles Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The south front has a recessed entrance with two pillars supporting the second story. The roof line is flat.
History: Portsmouth became the seat of the Province of New Hampshire in 1679. The first courthouse was the old State House built in 1758 to 1760 at Market Square. Rockingham County was created in 1769 and organized in 1771 with Exter as the county seat. The state capital was established at Exter in 1788 and later moved to Concord in 1808. The old State House remained as a courthouse until dismantled in 1836. The second courthouse was built three blocks south and was a Greek Revival style. The building was demolished in 1916 and the Central Fire Station was located on the site. The third courthouse was constructed by C Willis Damon in 1891. The building was demolished in 1967. The old Jail still standing on Penhallow Street. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1979 to 1981.
See: The Rockingham County courthouse is located in Brentwood.
Photos taken 2014