Merrimack County

US States / N / New Hampshire / Merrimack County
Merrimack

Merrimack County is named for the Merrimack River which is named after the Native American word “merruasquamack” meaning “swift water place”.

 

Created:  1823

County Seat: 

Concord  1823 – present

 

County Courthouse – Concord

 

Location:  163 North Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1856 – 1857

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  Joshua L Foster

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of the center of the city.  A protruding cornice runs below the roof line. On the east front the center section projects from the main building. There is an arched entrance on the first story.  A new addition with main entrance is on the west side. The building was originally the City Hall. The building was remodeled in 1907. The courtroom is located on the second story. The architect was George S Forrest of Concord. The building was renovated in 1981. The architect was Dudley, Walsh & Moyer, Inc. of Concord and the contractor was A P Whitaker & Sons, Inc. of Bridgewater, Massachusetts.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $56,000.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Merrimack County Courthouse

 

New County Courthouse – Concord

 

1980m18

 

Location:  163 North Main Street / Court Street

Built:  2017 – 2019

Style:  Modern

Architect:  C N Carley Associates Architects & Planners

Contractor:  Milestone Engineering & Construction, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the west side of the courthouse. The east front has glass panel walls with the entrance on the south side. The roof line is flat. 

 

Former County Administration – Concord

 

1198ne14

 

Location:  163 North Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1856 – 1857

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Guy K C Wilson

Contractor:  Bonnet, Page & Stone Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was demolished in 2018. The building was demolished in 2017 and was replaced with a parking lot.

 

District Courthouse – Concord

 

1217ne14

 

Location:  32 Clinton Street / Princeton Street

Built:  1990 – 1991

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Lavallee/Brensinger Professional Association

Contractor:  Mergansee Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a porch on the first story with four columns and recessed entrance. The south side of the east front projects from the main building and rises to a wide pediment at the roof line. Narrow horizontal bands run above the first story windows and second story windows.

 

See:  The New Hampshire Supreme Court is located in Concord.

 

Other Branch Courthouse

 

Franklin

 

Courthouses: 

N – Grafton County and Belknap County

E – Strafford County and Rockingham County

S – Hillsborough County

W – Sullivan County and Grafton County

 

 

 

1191ne14

County Courthouse

 

 

1956m18

 

 

1957m18

 

 

1958m18

 

 

1962m18

 

 

1963m18

 

 

1966m18

 

 

1968m18

 

 

1970m18

 

 

1971m18

 

 

1972m18

 

 

1973m18

 

 

1975m18

 

 

1976m18

New County Courthouse

 

 

1979m18

 

 

1982m18

 

 

1983m18

 

 

1199ne14

Former Administration Building

 

 

1200ne14

 

 

1201ne14

 

 

1216ne14

District Courthouse

 

 

1218ne14

 

 

1215ne14

 

 

1219ne14

Photos taken 2014 and 2018