Douglas County is named for Stephen Arnold Douglas, a United States Senator, statesman, and leader of the Democratic Party.
Created: November 25, 1861
Genoa 1861 – 1916
Minden 1916 – present
County Courthouse – Minden
Location: 1616 Eigth Street / 6th Street
Built: 1981 – 1982
Architect: Dolven Larson Daniels
Contractor: O & D Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story cream and brown colored concrete structure. The building is a long east to west rectangular shape, The south front has a recessed central entrance on the first story. The windows have projecting concrete frames. A horizontal brown band runs along the roof line and between the first and second stories. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Minden
Location: 1594 Esmeralda Avenue / 6th Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frederic J DeLongchamps and George L F O’Brien
Contractor: Friedhoff and Hoeffel
Description: The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a large porch with four columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The central entrance is recessed. The center section of the building projects with north and south wings behind. The roof line is flat. The building is set in landscaped grounds and now houses the Douglas County Administration. The building served as the courthouse until 1982. The building was remodeled in 1982 to 1983. The architect was Dolven Larson Daniels and the contractor was N Bugica & Associates.
See: Frederic J DeLongchamps designed courthouses located in Carson City ( Ormsby County ), Humboldt County, Lander County, Lyon County, Perishing County and Washoe County. He also designed the California courthouse in Alpine County.
Old County Courthouse – Genoa
Location: Main Street / 5th Street
Architect: Rufus Adams and Lawrence Gilman
Contractor: Rufus Adams and Lawrence Gilman
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The east front has a long porch supported by four pillars and with a long balcony on the second story. The entrance is framed as is the second story doorway. The eaves overhanf and the roof is hipped. The building now houses the Carson Valley Historical Society.
E – Lyon County
Photos taken 2013