Thurston County is named for John M Thurston, who was a Unites States senator from Nebraska.
Created: March 5, 1855
Pender 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Pender
Location: 106 South 5th Street / North Main Street
Built: 1895 – 1896
Style: Late Victoria and Romanesque
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was constructed as a school house. In 1927, the building was purchased as a court house. The building has a central tower with the entrance on the first story and a peaked roof at the third story. The base of the building is white colored brick. The south section of the building has a peaked roof facing east. Work was completed in 1927 to change the building to the courthouse. The architect was J F Reynolds of Sioux City, Iowa.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Thurston County Courthouse
Old County Courthouse – Pender
Location: 400 Main Street / North 4th Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Second Renaissance Revival
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is “U” shaped. The centered portion which is six bays, is recessed slightly from the three-bay ends,The building was known as the “Peebles House”. The building became the Palace Hotel. The building served as the courthouse from 1908 to 1927.
See: National Register of Historic Places – First Thurston County Courthouse
W – Wayne County
Photos taken 2008 and 2010