Stanton County is named for Edwin M Stanton, who was the United States Secretary of War from 1862 to 1867.
Created: January 26, 1856
Stanton 1862 – present
County Courthouse – Stanton
Location: 804 Ivy Street / 8th Street
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Everett J Simpson of Architects Inc.
Contractor: Fauss Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a one story white-brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The south front has a recessed center section with four brick vertical dividers. The west section projects slightly and the east section projects south with no windows. A wide white band runs below the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by T Dudley Allen and constructed by W L Alstyne of Lincoln in 1883 to 1884. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $10,624. The cupola was removed in 1930 and the building was demolished when the present courthouse was constructed.
See: The contractor, Fauss Construction Inc., constructed the courthouse in Madison County.
N – Wayne County
E – Cuming County
W – Madison County
Photos taken 2009