Sioux County is named for the Sioux Indian tribe who resided in the area, and the word “sioux” is derived from the Chippewa ( Ojibway ) name of the tribe Nadowe-is-iw”, signifying “snake or little snake”, which was corrupted by the French to Nadowessioux or Sioux.
Created: February 19, 1885
Harrison 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Harrison
Location: 325 Main Street / 3rd Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: E L Goldsmith
Contractor: Fullen Construction Company of Scotts Bluff
Description: The building faces east and is a two story rectangular gray stone structure. The east front has an arched entrance doorway and vertical pilasters between the windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Whitney & Murphy and constructed in 1889. The building was demolished.
N – Fall River County, South Dakota
Photos taken 2007