Scotts Bluff County is named for a local bluff known as Scott’s Bluff which was a noted landmark by the side of the Platte River Valley and named after Hiram Scott who perished at its foot.
Created: November 6, 1888
Gering 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Gering
Location: 1725 10th Street / R Street
Built: 1920 – 1921
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William N Bowman of Denver, Colorado
Contractor: C E Goodhand of Ord
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is rectangular and the east front has a large portico supported by six large Tuscan limestone columns rising to a wide header above the fourth story. The header contains a large clock. The first story entrance is recessed with an arched frame and small canopy and wrought iron balcony above. The roof line is flat. The interior has white hexagonal floor tile.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1891. C E Goodhand of Ord was awarded the building contract for the present courthouse at a bid of $204,534.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Scotts Bluff County Courthouse
County Administration – Gering
Location: 1825 10th Street / S Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Boyer Biskup Bonge & Associates of Omaha
Contractor: Boyer Biskup Bonge & Associates of Omaha
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has wide steps and a recessed glass entrance. The roof line is flat. The courthouse is located on the south side of the building.
E – Morrill County
S – Banner County
W – Goshen County, Wyoming
Photos taken 2010