Saunders County is named for Alvin Saunders, who was a governor of the Nebraska Territory.
Created: January 26, 1856
Ashland 1862 – 1873
Wahoo 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Wahoo
Location: 433 North Chestnut Street / West 4th Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: George L Fisher & Harry Lawrie
Contractor: Olson & Lawrence of Lincoln
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The building has a stone framed entrance with small balcony above. Each corner has a large square tower with round black colored dome. In the center rises a high square brick tower with green colored dome.
Note: The cost of construct of the courthouse was $78,825.
N – Dodge County
W – Butler County
Photos taken 2008