Platte County is named for the Platte River which flows through the county and which name is the French word for “flat”.
Created: January 26, 1856
Columbus 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Columbus
Location: 2610 14th Street / 26th Avenue
Built: 1920 – 1921
Architect: Charles Wurdeman
Contractor: H F Hoerth
Description: The building faces south and is a four story gray Bedford and Indiana limestone and concrete structure. The first story has horizontal stone and a colonnade rises from the second to third stories. The roof line is flat. On the west side an addition was built in 1974 and completed in 1977. The architect was Acken, Hazen Hoffman & Miller of Lincoln.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by C A Speice and built in 1867.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Platte County Courthouse
E – Colfax County
Photos taken 2009