Pierce County is named for Franklin Pierce, who was the President of the United States from 1853 to 1857.
Created: January 26, 1856
Pierce 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Pierce
Location: 111 West Court Street / Brown Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Everett J Simpson of Architects Inc.
Contractor: Radec Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a one story brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The south front has a recessed center section with a dark glass central entrance. The west section extends south with a glass entrance on the south side. Similarly the east section extends south and has a glass entrance on the south side. A white band runs below the roof line. The north part of the main building rises above the flat roof line.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed in 1871 at a cost of $4000. The second courthouse was designed by Fisher & Russell constructed in 1889. The building was remodeled in 1932 and demolished when the present courthouse was constructed.
S – Madison County
W – Antelope County
Photos taken 2009