Kearney County

US States / N / Nebraska / Kearney County
Kearney

Kearney County is named for Fort Kearney, which was named for Stephen Watts Kearney or was named for Philip Kearney, who was a general.

 

Created:  January 10, 1860

County Seat:

Minden  1860 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Minden  

 

Location:  424 North Colorado Avenue / East 4th Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  George A Berlinghof of Beatrice

Contractor:  Shaul and Assenmacher of Seneca, Kansas

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story gray stone structure. The first story has horizontal stonework. On the west and east sides, the central entrance has an arched widow above on the second story and rises to a pediment at the roof line. On the north and south sides, there are three arches for the central entrances. On each corner of the building there is a white flat dome. On the center of the roof is a large white dome rising to a white cupola at the top. The building is located in Courthouse Square.

 

Note:  On November 7, 1905, county votes approved a bond issue for $80,000.
See:  The architect, George A Berlinghof of Beatrice, designed courthouses in Colfax County, Franklin County, Greeley County, Howard CountyLincoln CountyNemaha County, Seward County and Thayer County; and in Iowa in Crawford County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Kearney County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Buffalo County

E – Adams County

S – Franklin County

W – Phelps County

 

 

 

0650cs10

 

 

0651cs10

 

 

0652cs10

 

 

0654cs10

 

 

0655cs10

 

 

0656cs10

 

 

0659cs10

 

 

0658cs10

Photos taken 2010