Harlan County

US States / N / Nebraska / Harlan County
Harlan

Harlan County is named for James Harlan, who was secretary of the interior or for the nephew of Senator James Harlan, which nephew was a revenue collector and lived near Republic City.

 

Created:  June 3, 1871

County Seat:

Alma  1871 – present

 

County Courthouse – Alma  

 

Location:  706 West 2nd Street / John Avenue

Built:  1963 – 1964

Style:  Modern

Architect:  George E Clatton and Associates

Contractor:  Chris Lien Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The windows are vertical and framed in white color. The south entrance is recessed with glass doors. The building has a flagstone faced base. The roof line is flat.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was constructed in 1888 and remodeled in 1922. The building was demolished when the present courthouse was constructed.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Phelps County

E – Franklin County

S – Phillips County, Kansas

W – Furnas County

 

 

 

0695cs10

 

 

0696cs10

 

 

0697cs10

 

 

0698cs10

 

 

0699cs10

 

 

0701cs10

 

 

0702cs10

 

 

0703cs10

Photos taken 2010