Hamilton County is named for Alexander Hamilton, who was a revolutionary soldier and the first Secretary of the Treasury from 1789 to 1795.
Created: February 16, 1867
Orville 1870 – 1876
Aurora 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Aurora
Location: 1111 13th Street / M Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Country Capitol and Romanesque
Architect: William M Gray of Lincoln
Contractor: Atkinson Brothers & Company of Colorado Springs, Colorado
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and red colored sandstone structure. The center section projects from the main building and has an arched entrance on the first story and rises to a peak. On each corner is a square red colored brick tower with steep roof. On the east side is a round tower with conical roof. In the center of the building is a tall square red colored brick tower with steep roof. The building is surrounded by spacious grounds.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $60,000.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Hamilton County Courthouse
N – Merrick County
S – Clay County
W – Hall County
Photos taken 2010