Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: February 16, 1867
Franklin City 1871 – 1874
Bloomington 1874 – 1920
Franklin 1920 – present
County Courthouse – Franklin
Location: 405 15th Avenue / O Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George A Berlinghof of Beatrice
Contractor: Vrana Brothers of Omaha
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has projecting north and south sections with a recessed center section. The central entrance on the first story is framed with stone. A horizontal stone band runs between the first and second stories. A wide cornices runs below the flat roof line. A stone crest rises along the roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1878 in Bloomington which ceased to be the county seat in 1920.
See: The architect, George A Berlinghof of Beatrice, designed courthouses in Colfax County, Greeley County, Howard County, Kearney County, Lincoln County, Nemaha County, Seward County and Thayer County; and in Iowa in Crawford County.
N – Kearney County
E – Webster County
W – Harlan County
Photos taken 2010