Dodge County is named for Augustus Caesar Dodge, who was a United States Senator.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
W – Colfax County
Created: November 23. 1854
Fontenelle 1856 – 1860
Fremont 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Fremont
Location: 435 North Park Street / West 5th Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Architect: A H Dyer Company of Fremont
Contractor: Olson & Johnson of Missoula, Montana
Description: The building faces east and is a four story stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fremont. The building is faced with blue Bedford stone. The parapet has a decorative moulding that is slightly pedimented at the center. The center section projects from the building and has four immense simple smooth round engaged columns extend for the first and second stories. The cornice above the third story projects from the building. The deeply rusticated basement contrasts notably with the smooth stone above. Entry to the first story is through a small vestibule on the east facade but directly onto a long corridor on the north and south facades. Original features include grey marble wainscoting and stairs, ceramic tile flooring in tan, black, and white, and elaborate plaster mouldings in four patterns. The 35 foot by 50 foot former District Court courtroom occupies the southwest corner of the third story at the end of the hallway. The courtroom has been converted to a meeting room for the Board of Supervisors and has therefore been considerably changed with new ceilings, lighting, and wall coverings. On the east side is the modern Judicial Center.
County Judicial Center – Fremont
Location: 426 North Broad Street / West 5th Street
Built: 1984 – 1986
Architect: Dana Larson Roubal & Associates of Omaha
Contractor: McHan Construction, Inc. of Sioux City, Iowa.
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fremont on the west side of the courthouse. This large four-story addition is connected to the courthouse by a second story enclosed walkway and is thus offset from the building. It occupies over a half block at the west or back of the courthouse, is faced with red colored brick, and has stone trim with of classical inspiration. The courtrooms are located on the third story The building also contains the jail. The building houses the County District Court and County Court of the 6th Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1854 and Fontenelle was designated as the county seat in 1856. The county seat was moved to Fremont in 1860. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure designed and built by John Ray in 1867 to 1868 at a cost of $11,800. The courthouse was destroyed in a severe fire on December 31, 1887. The second courthouse was a two story brick and stone structure designed by George E McDonald and constructed by Seeley Sons & Company in 1888 to 1890 at a cost of $60,000. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on December 5 in 1915. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1917 to 1919 at a cost of $223,239.
County Courthouse - Fremont
County Justice Center – Fremont
Photos taken 2008 and 2016