Cuming County is named for Thomas B Cuming, who was an early governor of the Nebraska Territory.
Created: March 16, 1855
West Point 1855 – present
County Courthouse – West Point
Location: 200 South Lincoln Street / East Church Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: B H Backlund and Associates Inc. of Omaha
Contractor: Parsons Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete, buff colored brick and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a concrete overhang with glass walls at the entrance. Above the entrance is a panel of windows. On the south side, the roof overhangs the building and there are two horizontal bands of white colored concrete between the windows. On the north side, the north section rises to three stories. The courtroom has a large mural.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by R B Rochford in 1873 to 1874. The construction bid was $25,000. R B Rochford did not complete construction, and a contract was awarded to Edmund Krause for $15,000. The total cost of construction was $40,000. The building was demolished when the present courthouse was completed. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $400,000.
W – Stanton County
Photos taken 2008 and 2016