Cedar County is named for the many juniper trees in the area which were mistakenly called “cedar trees”.
Created: Febryary 12, 1857
Hartington 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Hartington
Location: 101 South Broadway Avenue / East Franklin Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Architect: J C Stitt of Norfolk
Contractor: Paterson & McClean
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. On the northwest corner rises a four story square brick tower with open arched window at the top. There is a small square tower on the southwest corner. The west central entrance has a stone trimmed arch. The basement of the building is rusticated rock-faces golden colored stone. In 2009 to 201, an addition was being constructed on the north side of the building. The architect was Mannes Architects of Yankton, South Dakota and the contractor was RaDec Construction Company of Hartington.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $19,000. Henry Stuckenhoff of Hartington was one of the subcontractors.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Cedar County Courthouse
E – Dixon County
Photos taken 2009