Butler County is named for David Butler, who was the first state governor of Nebraska from 1867 to 1872.
Created: January 26, 1856
David City 1856 – present
County Courthouse – David City
Location: 451 North 5th Street / E Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Raymond H Reed, Wurdeman & Associates
Contractor: Gerwick General Contractors
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick, stone and glass structure. The east front has a recessed center section with stone facing around the entrance. The north and south sections of the east front alternate with windows and red colored brick facing. The east building section is rectangular and is joined to a northwest square building section. There is a covered walkway on the south side between the two sections. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William Gray in 1890. In 1930, the dome was removed. The building was demolished to make way for the present courthouse.
E – Saunders County
S – Seward County
W – Polk County
Photos taken 2009