Burt County

US States / N / Nebraska / Burt County
Burt

Burt County is named for Frances Burt, who was a governor of the Nebraska Territory.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Thurston County

E – Monona County, Iowa and Harrison County, Iowa

S – Washington County and Dodge County

W – Dodge County and Cuming County 

 

Created:  November 23, 1854                Map of Nebraska highlighting Burt County

County Seat:

Tekamah  1855 – present

 

County Courthouse – Tekamah  

 

Location:  111 North 13th Street / M Street

Built:  1916 – 1917

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Rose & Peterson of Kansas City, Kansas

Contractor:  F P Gould & Son Inc. of Omaha

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story concrete, brick and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Tekamah. The rectangular shaped  building has four large Corinthian columns rising from the second to the third story. The base of the building is stone with two entrance doors on the west. The cornice projects from the building with a high header above to the flat roof line. The interior has marble wainscoting, ceramic tile, dark woodwork, ornate plaster details (egg-and-dart courses, foliated consoles), and wrought iron stairs and railings. An important feature is the two-story well of the inner lobby which highlights a mosaic tile seal of the “Great State of Nebraska” on the first floor. The courtroom is located on the third story. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 6th Judicial District.

 

See:  The architect, Rose and Peterson of Kansas City, Kansas, also designed the courthouse in Box Butte County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Burt County Courthouse

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District includes Cedar CountyDakota CountyDixon County, Dodge CountyThurston County and Washington County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1854 and Tekamah was selected as the county seat in 1855. The first courthouse was a two story log block house which doubled as the courthouse from 1857 to 1867, and later was used as a hotel until 1917. The block house was located on the southwest corner of the present courthouse site. The second courthouse was a two story hipped roof structure built in 1878. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1916 to 1917 at a cost of $64,533.

 

 

0315i08

County Courthouse – Tekamah  

 

 

0316i08

 

 

0320i08

 

 

0321i08

 

 

0322i08

 

 

0319i08

Photos taken 2008