Buffalo County is named for the many herds of buffalo that came to the feed grounds in the region.
Created: March 14, 1855
Gibson 1871 – 1874
Kearney 1874 – present
County Courthouse – Kearney
Location: 1512 Central Avenue / 15th Street
Built: 1973 – 1975
Contractor: Central Contracting Corporation of Kearney
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick structure. The windows are narrow and vertical. The building has a flat roof line. The Judicial Building section of the building complex was expanded in 1979 to 1980. The architect was Mid-Plains Engineering and Architects. The building was expanded in 2007 with new entrance on the west side. The west entrance has a semi-circular porch supported by columns. The building is called the Buffalo County Government Center. During expansion in 2007, the architect was Goldberg, Sullivan & McCrerey and the contractor was Beckenhauer Construction Inc.
Note: The County minutes show that on May 1. 1973, five bids were received for construction of the present courthouse:
Lacey Building & Supply, Grand Island $526,892.00
Busboom & Rauh, Salina, Kansas $536,500.00
Central Contracting Corp, Kearney $508,496.00
Weaver Construction, Kearney $520,695.89
Roeder Bros, Kearney $516,150.00
Motion was made by Carranza, seconded by Johnson that we award the contract to Central Contracting Corporation for County Office Complex for $508,496.00. Roll call: Aye-Carranza, Johnson, Freburg, Asher,Lowe, Wright, and Cannon. Motion carried.
Note: The previous courthouse in Gibson was constructed by H B Dexter in 1872. The previous courthouse in Kearney was designed by W E Wagner, constructed in 1890 and served as the courthouse until the present courthouse was completed.
E – Hall County
W – Dawson County
Photos taken 2010