Stillwater County is named for the Stillwater River which is named for its very slow current.
Created: March 24, 1913
Columbus 1913 – present
County Courthouse – Columbus
Location: 400 North 3rd Street / East 4th Avenue North
Built: 1914 – 1916
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Warren A Dedrick of Billings
Contractor: James & Ainslie of Helena
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The south front has an extending portico supported by two large columns which rise from the first story to the top of the second story. Above is a wide header with three windows on the third story. A wide cornice runs between the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. On the west side is the old Sheriff Residence.
Photos taken 2011