Petroleum County is named for the petroleum produced at Cat Creek.
Created: November 24, 1924
Winnett 1926 – present
County Courthouse – Winnett
Location: 302 East Main Street / Ashley Avenue
Built: 1916 – 1918
Architect: Walter Winnett of Winnett
Contractor: Walter Winnett of Winnett
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored stone structure. The south front has a horizontal white band dividing the first and second stories. There are white colored sections along the first story. The roof line is flat. This structure was originally built as the Winnett Block storefront. The left side was the Montana Lumber Company, the middle portion was the Winnett Times, and the right side was the First State Bank of Winnett. The second floor was used as office space, and the basement was initially used as a restaurant. The County leased the building in 1929 and purchased the building in 1929.
W – Fergus County
Photos taken 2011