Meagher County is named for Thomas Francis Meagher, who was an acting Governor of the Montana Territory.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Wheatland County
Created: November 16, 1867
Diamond City 1867 – 1880
White Sulphur Springs 1880 – present
County Courthouse – White Sulphur Springs
Location: 15 West Main Street / Central Avenue North
Built: 1951 – 1952
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Edwin C Osuess of Billings
Contractor: E F Drew of Miles City
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, white colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of White Sulphur Springs. The south center section projects slightly and has vertical dividers with windows between. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 164h Judicial District.
Note: Plans had been prepared by J G Link of Billings in 1939 but the construction of the building did not proceed.
History: The county was created in 1867 and Diamond City was designated as the county seat. The county seat was moved to White Sulphur Springs. The first courthouse as a two story structure built in 1882. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1951 to 1952.
County Courthouse - White Sulphur Springs
Photos taken 2011