Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Gallatin County
Created: February 2, 1865
Virginia City 1865 – present
County Courthouse – Virginia City
Location: 110 West Wallace Street / Courthouse Street
Built: 1875 – 1876
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: L B Olds
Contractor: Daniel Steele
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the side of a slope in the center of Virginia City. The north front has a small portico supported by four thin columns with a balcony on the second story. The building has a square white colored wood cupola with glass windows, on the center of the roof. The entrance doorway and windows are arched. The interior has a spiral staircase ascending to the courtroom on the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 5th Judicial District. Additions were built in 1913 and 1962 and the building was renovated in 2005.
Note: The courthouse is the oldest courthouse still in use in Montana. The second oldest courthouse is located in Choteau County.
History: The county was created in 1865 and Virginia City was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was the log structure built in 1866 which became the Sisters Hospital and later the Bonanza Inn and which is still standing. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1875 to 1876.
County Courthouse – Madison
Old County Courthouse – Virginia City
Photos taken 2009 and 2011