Garfield County is named for James Abram Garfield, who was the twentieth President of the United States of America.
Created: February 7, 1919
Jordan 1919 – present
County Courthouse – Jordan
Location: 200 Kramer Street / Leavitt Avenue
Built: 1951 -1952
Architect: Elmer Link of Billings
Contractor: John Sterhan of Glendive
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the side of slope with the first story having an entrance on the south side which is occupied by the hospital. The County occupies the second story which has an entrance on the northeast corner with small porch supported by red brick pillars. The foundation is concrete and the roof line is flat. The building was constructed as a hospital and the County occupied the building when the former courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1996.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1899 as a dance hall and then converted to a courthouse. The building was destroyed by fire in 1996.
S – Rosebud County
W – Petroleum County
Photos taken 2011