Gallatin County is named for Albert Gallatin, who was United States Secretary of the Treasury at the time of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Created: February 2, 1865
Bozeman 1865 – present
County Courthouse – Bozeman
Location: 311 West Main Street / North 3rd Avenue
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Fred F Wilson of Bozeman
Contractor: Mead & Mount of Denver, Colorado
Description: The building faces south and is a two story stone, concrete and glass structure. The south front has vertical sections which divide the windows and entrances on the first story. The center section projects from the main building. The building has a flat roof.
Note: the previous courthouse was designed by B Vreeland and F W Vreeland and constructed by Shaffer & Yergy in 1880. An addition was designed by Charles & Haire in 1902.
County Law and Justice Center – Bozeman
Location: 615 South 16th Avenue / West Dickerson Street
Built: 1961 – 1962
Style: Schoolhouse Modern
Architect: Norman Hamill and Associates of Butte
Description: The building faces west and is a two story brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The south front has horizontal white bands with horizontal windows below each band. The central entrance is recessed. The roof line is flat. .
S – Fremont County, Idaho
W – Madison County
Photos taken 2009 and 2011