Fergus County is named for James Fergus, the father of Andrew Fergus, who was one of the first settlers in the area.
Created: March 12, 1885
Lewistown 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Lewistown
Location: 721 West Main Street / 7th Avenue South
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Spanish Colonial
Architect: Newton C Gauntt of North Yakima, Washington
Contractor: William Oliver of Spokane, Washington
Description: The building face southeast and is a three story pink and brown colored brick structure. The building has two large columns supporting a header with balustrade in the central front. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with clock.bell and gold dome. The base of the building is dark brown colored brick. On the northwest side is the old stone jail.
E – Petroleum County
Photos taken 2006 and 2011