Deer Lodge County is named for Deer Lodge Valley, which was named for the Native American name “lodge of the White-tailed Deer”, or a lick where deer came in droves.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Jefferson County
Created: February 2, 1865
Silver Bow 1865 – 1867
Deer Lodge 1867 – 1896
Anaconda 1896 – present
County Courthouse – Anaconda
Location: 409 Missouri Avenue / 4th Street
Built: 1898 – 1900
Architect: Charles F Bell and John N Kent
Contractor: Dolan & Hamill
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff dressed colored sandstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of a low hill in the center of Anaconda. The north front has a projecting center section with arched doorway on the first story, large arched window on the second story and pediment above the roof line. The first story windows are arched. The east and west wings project from the main building. On the center of the roof rises a two-tired square dome with small cupola at the top. The interior has a rotunda. The third story contains the large courtroom on the east, with jury rooms and judge’s chambers. A spiral staircase joins the office of the Clerk of the Court on the second story beneath the courtroom with the courtroom. The building houses the County District Court of the 3rd Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1865 as part of Idaho Territory and Montana Territory with county seat at Silver Bow which became Deer Lodge in 1867. The first courthouse was erected in 1869. The second courthouse was a two story structure designed by Paulsen & McConnell and built in 1886. The county seat was moved to Anaconda in 1896 and the second courthouse was abandoned. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1898 to 1900 at a cost of $100,500.
County Courthouse – Anacona
Photos taken 2009