Choteau County is named for Jean Pierre Choteau and his son Pierre Choteau, Jr., who were part of the Choteau fur-trading family.
Created: February 2, 1865
Fort Benton 1865 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Benton
Location: 1308 Franklin Street / 13th Street
Style: Queen Anne style
Architect: Kees and Fisk of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contractor: Gus Senieur
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building has a high square brick tower on the south corner with a wood top and gold dome. The center front rises to a peaked roof at the roof line. There is also a peaked roof on the southwest and northeast sides. The building is the second oldest courthouse in Montana which is still in use after the Madisonn County Courthouse.
E – Blaine County
Photos taken 2009 and 2016