Broadwater County is named for Charles A Broadwater, who was a pioneer in the area and s colonel in the United States Army.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Meagher County
S – Gallatin County
Created: February 9, 1897
Townsend 1897 – present
County Courthouse – Towndend
Location: 515 Broadway / North Oak Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Architect: R C Hugenin and Norman DeKay
Contractor: West Coast Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Townsend. The center of the building has a slightly projecting entrance section which rises above the roof line. The roof is hipped. On the northeast side is the Courthouse Annex constructed in 2005 to 2006.
History: The county was created in 1897 and Townsend was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse and jail were built by Henry Neill in 1897 to 1898. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1935 to 1936. A new jail was constructed at the same time and was replaced in 2005 to 2996.
County Courthouse – Townsend
County Courthouse Annex – Townsend
Photos taken 2011