Beaverhead County is named for Beaverhead Rock in the Jefferson River, which rock is shaped like a beaver’s head.
Created: February 2, 1865
Bannock 1865 – 1875
Dillon 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Dillon
Location: 2 South Pacific Street / East Bannock Street
Built: 1889 – 1890
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Sidney Smith
Contractor: Wincote and Riley of Omaha, Nebraska
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff colored brick and wood structure. The northwest front has a wide arch at the central entrance. The center section rises into a large square tower with clock and cupola at the top. The second story windows are arched. The base of the building is course stone. An addition has been added on the southeast side. An addition was constructed on the east side in 1974 and 1975. The architect was Johnson-Graham Associates and the contractor was Robert A Taylor Construction.
Old County Courthouse – Bannack
Location: Main Street
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a porch with balcony on the second story. The roof is hipped. The building served as the courthouse until the county seat was moved to Dillon and then served as a hotel. The building is located in the Bannack State Park.
W – Idaho County, Idaho
Photos taken 2009 and 2011