Worth County is named for William Jenkins Worth, who was a soldier in the Florida War and a general in the Mexican-American War.
Created: February 8, 1861
Smithdon ( Worthville ) 1861 – 1863
Grant City 1863 – present
County Courthouse – Grant City
Location: 11 West 4th Street / Main Street
Built: 1897 – 1899
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Fremont C Orff and Ernest F Guilbert of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contractor: Stansberry Press Brick Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. Built of hard red colored brick, the building has a large square tower with peaked roof at each corner with stone rim and measures 71 by 80 feet. The south front has a one story centre projection with three arches and balcony on the second story. There are dormer windows at the roof line on the third story. In the center of the building is an octagonal white cupola with white dome with conical roof.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1864 at a cost of $600. In 1866, the second courthouse was built by John F Mason at a cost of $1000. The cost of the present courthouse was $19,360.
E – Harrison County
S – Gentry County
W – Nodaway County
Photos taken 2009