Vernon County is named for Miles Vernon, who was a state senator from Missouri.
Created: February 17, 1855
Nevada 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Nevada
Location: 100 West Cherry Street / North Cedar Street
Built: 1906 – 1908
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Robert G Kirsch of Kirsch and Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Contractor: F Dye and J B Beagles Contractors of Nevada
Description: The building faces south and is a three story course gray colored Carthage stone structure. The building is 80 feet by 100 feet. The south front has a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story and rising to a peak. Above the entrance is a large arched window on the second story. On each corner is a large square stone tower with peaked red colored roof. On the center of the roof is a large square stone clock tower with peaked red colored roof.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by D C Hunter the county clerk and superintendent of construction and was built by James Bryan in 1856 to 1857 at a cost of $900. A clerk’s office was built on the southwest corner of the square in 1860 for $550. Both the courthouse and clerk’s office were destroyed by fire in 1863. The second courthouse was constructed by Charles W Goodlander under the supervision of A A Pitcher at a cost of $25,000 in 1868. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $95,215. The building is similar to courthouses in Adair County and Polk County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Vernon County Courthouse
N – Bates County
S – Barton County
Photos taken 2009