Taney County is named for Roger Brooke Taney, who was the fifth Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Created: January 6, 1837
Forsyth 1837 – 1841
Bull Creek 1841 – 1845
Forsyth 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Forsyth
Location: 132 David Street / Main Street
Built: 1950 – 1951
Architect: Volney A Poulson
Contractor: George Brown
Description: The building faces south and is a two story cream colored stucco and cinder block structure. The building is 116 feet square with an open center courtyard. The south front has a square tower at the central entrance with a large arched window. The upper part of the first story extends out from the building and the second story is recessed with a similar overhang.
Note: The first courthouse was built at the mouth of Swan Creek ( Forsyth ). The second courthouse was built at Bull Creek in 1841. The third courthouse was built by Larkin W Selsor at Forsyth in 1855 at a cost of $3600. The building was destroyed by fire on December 19, 1885. The fourth courthouse was designed by James A Barton of Springfield and built by Larkin W Selsor in 1889 to 1891. The superintendent was A D Prather and the John H Parrish. An addition was built in 1914. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $66,912.
County Justice Center – Forsyth
Location: 240 Main Street / Short Street
Built: 2007 – 2008
Architect: HMN Architects and Butler Rosenbury
Contractor: Septagon Construction Management
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The west front has a square glass and brick tower. The first story is recessed with brick pillars along the north side. The roof line is flat.
E – Ozark County
W – Stone County
Photos taken 2009