St. Louis City is named for the patron saint of King Louis XV of France.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – St. Louis County
S – St. Louis County
W – St. Louis County
Created: October 1, 1812
St. Louis 1812 – present
Old County Courthouse – St. Louis
Location: 11 North 4th Street / Market Street
Built: 1839 – 1862
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Henry Singleton.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story white colored brick structure. The building forms a cross with extended north and south wings and porticoes on the east and west wings. There is a large dome with green colored dome in the center. In 1851, the building was remodeled by Robert S Mitchell. In 1862, the architect was Thomas D P Thomas, William Rumbold and Thomas W Walsh.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Morton & Laveille, built in 1828 and torn down in 1851 and the east wing of the old courthouse was built.
County Courthouse – St. Louis
Location: 10 North Tucker Boulevard / Market Street
Built: 1927 – 1930
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George D Barnet Inc.
Contractor: Brussell & Viterbo
Description: The building faces east and is a twelve story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The east and west sides have two large columns rising to the third story with recessed entrances. The top two stories have columns around the exterior with recessed walls. The roof line is flat.
County Justice Center – St. Louis
Location: 200 South Tucker Boulevard / Walnut Street
Built: 2001 – 2002
Architect: Kennedy Associates and Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
Contractor: KWAME Building Group Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a five story concrete, steel and blue glass structure. The west front has a glass paneled entrance on the first story The second to fourth stories have blue colored glass walls with recessed sections. The fifth story has blue colored glass divided by concrete pillars. The roof line is flat. On the east side of the building is the twenty-eight story United States Courthouse.
Old Municipal Courts – St. Louis
Location: 1320 Market Street / South 14th Street
Built: 1908– 1911
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Isaac Stockton Taylor
Contractor: John Pierce Company of New York, New York and C L Gray Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a four story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The center section has a large square tower with large arched entrance on the second story. The fourth story has small vertical windows. A balustrade runs along the flat roof line.
See: National Register of Historic Places – St. Louis Municipal Courts
See: The 22nd Judicial District covers St. Loius City.
Photos taken 2009