Scott County is named for John Guier Scott, who was a United States Representative from Missouri.
Created: December 28, 1821
Benton 1822 – 1863
Commerce 1863 – 1878
Benton 1878 – present
County Courthouse – Benton
Location: 131 South Winchester Street / Twappity Street
Built: 1911 – 1913
Style: Beaux Arts and Federalist
Architect: Henry H Hohenschild
Contractor: J W McCarthy of McCarty Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is “T” shaped. The east front has three rectangular entrance on the first story. Above are six white columns which rise to a wide header at the top of the third story with recessed windows behind. The north and south wings are lower. The building has terra cotta trim.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1820, the second courthouse was built in 1844 and the third courthouse was built in 1855. The fourth courthouse was built in Commerce in 1863 and the fifth courthouse was built in Benton in 1883 and was demolished in 1912. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost between $100,000 and $140,000.
County Justice Center – Benton
Location: NW – New Madrid Street / Twappity Street
Built: 1977 -1978
Architect: HWaters & Associates
Contractor: Bridger Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a one story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a recessed center section with four narrow columns rising to a wide header. The roof line is flat. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse.
E – Alexander County, Illinois
W – Stoddart County
Photos taken 2009