Schuyler County is named for Philip Schuyler, who was a general during the American Revolution, a delegate to the Continental Congress and a Senator from New York.
Created: February 14, 1845
Lancaster 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Lancaster
Location: 1 Courthouse Square – Jackson Street / Marion Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Kenneth O von Achen
Contractor: J J Watson and R W Warren of Kansas City.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The rectangular building has a wide pediment on the south side with four stone pillars framing the first story entrance and windows. There is a peaked roof with a small cupola in the center. The north side of the building has a recessed center section with over hanging roof.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Cahill Parks in 1845. The second courthouse was designed by Yelverton W Payton and built by William L Shane in 1856. The third courthouse was designed by C A Dunham of Burlington, Iowa nd built by L S Atchison of Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1895. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $254,351.
E – Scotland County
S – Adair County
W – Putnam County
Photos taken 2009