Saline County is named for the numerous salt springs found in the area.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Pettis County
W – Lafayette County
Created: November 25, 1820
Jefferson ( Cambridge ) 1821 – 1831
Jonesboro 1831 – 1839
Arrow Rock 1839 – 1840
Marshall 1840 – present
County Courthouse – Marshall
Location: 101 East Arrow Street / Lafayette Avenue
Built: 1882 – 1883
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: C Cochrane of Chicago, Illinois
Contractor: John Volk and Company of Rock Island, Illinois
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored pressed brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Marshall. The cruciform building is 100 feet by 110 feet. The north front has a small portico supported by four thin columns with a pediment at the second story. The center section projects from the main building and rises to a pediment at the roof line. Above the portico is an arched window. Limestone trim decorates the corners and there are horizontal bands of limestone. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower with mansard roof. In the interior, all stories have wide hallways from the north and south entrances which meet in the central rotunda which rises to the ceiling of the second story. The corridor walls are painted a light buff color, the woodwork a deep maroon that matches the tile in the floor medallion of the rotunda. Floors are surfaced with beige and cream linoleum tile. The stairway to the second story is U-shaped and has a walnut bannister and newel post. On the second story, the Circuit Courtroom is located in the east wing and the County Courtroom is located in the west wing. The walls of the courtrooms are painted a white color with all woodwork a Blair House buff color. The building houses the County Circuit Court. During construction, C G Page acted as superintendent. The building was restored in 1973. The architect was Philip Cotton. The building was renovated in 2009. The architect was Johnson & Associates of Kansas City and the contractor was Septagon Construction.
See: The 15th Judicial District covers Lafayette County and Saline County.
History: The county was created in 1820 and Jefferson ( Cambridge ) was selected as the county seat in 1821. The county seat was moved to Jonesboro in 1831 and the court met in rented premises. The county seat was moved to Arrow Rock in 1839. The first courthouse was a one story log cabin which is still standing. In 1840, the county seat was moved to Marshall. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed and built by Henry Hook at a cost of $9,000. The courthouse was burned in August 1864 during the Civil War. The third courthouse was a brick structure built by Buckner and Walker at a cost of $40,000 in 1868. J D McGowan was appointed superintendent. The courthouse was closed in 1879 and burned on April 3, 1881. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1883 at a cost of $51,762.
Old County Courthouse – Arrow Rock
Location: SW – 4th Street / Main Street
Description: The building faces east and is a one story log and clapboard structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Arrow Rock in the Arrow Rock State Historic Site. The east front has a wood portico supported by wood pillars. The roof is hipped. The building served as the courthouse from 1839 to 1840. Nearby is the old stone jail
County Courthouse – Marshall
Photos taken 2009