Ripley County is named for Eleazer Wheelock Ripley, who was a Brigadier General in the War of 1812.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Carter County
E – Butler County
S – Randolph County, Arkansas
W – Oregon County
Created: January 5, 1833
Doniphan 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Doniphan
Location: 100 Courthouse Square / Lafayette Street
Built: 1898– 1899
Architect: William F Schrage of Kansas City
Contractor: John M Anderson
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and wood structure. The building is 128 feet by 95 feet. The east front has a central square brick tower rising three stories. At the entrance is a small portico supported by four wood columns. On the second story is a large arched window. Each corner of the building has a square brick tower with mansard roof. The base of the building is course stone. The superintendent was Judge McManus. During the 1930’s, the building was repaired under a Work Projects Administration project. Extensive remodeling was done in 1976.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1848. The second courthouse was built in 1871 and was destroyed on January 1, 1898. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $20,000.
County Courthouse - Doniphan
Photos taken 2009